This documentary film tells the historical tale of Zheng Me; an explorer, diplomat, fleet admiral and palace eunuch.
Between 1405 and 1433, Admiral Zheng He of China led seven epic voyages to more than 30 countries, including Sri Lanka, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Kenya and Tanzania.
The admiral and his crew gathered knowledge and wealth from Indochina to Africa for China’s Ming empire.
These voyages were the biggest naval expeditions mounted at the time. Zheng He was bigger than life and could have changed the course of history.
But after the seven voyages, he and his Treasure Fleet were forgotten by China, and the world, for six hundred years.
Why did this happen? National Geographic photographer Michael Yamashita sets sail to discover just that.
- Release date2006
- Full runtime1 hour 33 min
- Directed byJonathan Finnigan
- Narrated byMichael Drew
- Written byToby Beach, Jonathan Finnigan
- StarsMichael Drew, Michael Yamashita
- Production CompanyBlue Sky Films (Production Services Kenya and Zanzibar), Lucky Devil Films, National Geographic Network Asia, Saga Pictures
- Produced forNational Geographic Network Asia