A team of scientific detectives from around the world attempt to understand one of natural sciences most enduring mysteries – what killed the megafauna?
After most of the dinosaurs went extinct at the end of the Cretaceous period, 66 million years ago, mammals took over as the largest creatures on land – and they became really big.
But during the late Pleistocene, from around 125,000 years ago, these megafauna suddenly vanished. What happened which resaulted in the extinction of the megafauna?
Recent discoveries could now help solve that mystery and offer insight into environmental problems today which threaten the world – and mankind.
Hosted by Craig Sechler, Death of the Megabeasts goes in search of the biological, geological and environmental answers in Australia.
- Release date15 Oct., 2009
- Full runtime1 hour 28 minutes
- Director and writerFranco di Chiera
- Production companiesProspero Productions, ScreenWest
- Produced forFrance 5, SBS, National Geographic